Thursday 30 July 2015

Update - Everyday Dragons

Alright, so a brief update on the blog and what to expect over the next little while.

A while ago I changed the title from Idlewild to Everyday Dragons, so what's up with that? Basically, Idlewild was something I loved from Anne of Green Gables, but it wasn't mine. I wanted something original that better reflected the kind of content I was posting. So what kind of content was I posting? What was the overall theme I seemed to go back to time and again?

I tend to write primarily about fiction, whether through the medium of books, movies, television, games, etc. I also talk about opinions, personal struggles, social justice - often informed by popular culture or geek culture. It's a philosophy of mine that the stories we consume are incredibly important to our identities. They change our perspectives and expose us to new ideas, places and characters. They provide escape from our daily struggles while often lending us strength or the proper mindset to overcome them. Stories can reflect the social norms, while also reinforcing them or challenging them.

Everyday Dragons is a poem I wrote about these things (maybe it'll make it's way onto the site one day when I'm completely happy with it). The title itself acknowledges the fact that we all have challenges we face daily. Obvious ones like conflict or oppression, and more personal struggles like depression or self-doubt. It also seeks to legitimize those challenges. Sometimes we see our struggles as insignificant, perceive ourselves as weak for being unable to overcome them, but every challenge we face - big and small, systemic or personal - has to be overcome by us. They are our personal dragons - every day we defeat them, tame them, learn to live with them, or sometimes just survive them. Again, the stories that we surround ourselves with can help approach these issues with strength and courage, or at least recognize that we have, in fact, been strong and courageous all along.

As for the blog's structure moving forward: right now I've decided to move away from a consistent schedule for posts. I've been very strict about writing every evening and am currently working on a lengthy project. So I will certainly try to update as much as possible, but this may mean no posts for a few weeks, a post a week or a post a day for a short time. I'd rather write and post when I feel passionate and have the time, then steal time away from my other projects or force myself to write a post when I don't really want to. 

Other than that, you may notice that there's now a "What I'm Reading" and "What I'm Watching" section on the right hand side of the blog in case any one is curious or wants to chat about books, shows, etc. They may also come up in posts. Expect the watching list to shrink significantly or at least have more titles put on hold since I've been spending so much time writing and am finding little time for anything else. (Except Wagnaria!! which I somehow managed to watch over two seasons of in a little over two weeks.)

If anything changes or I have any news, I'll make sure it makes it up as soon as possible this time! Hope everyone is having a happy summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment