Sunday 5 July 2015

The Purple Fig and other much needed updates

Just a quick post today with some much needed updates.

First and foremost... my short story Good Girl was picked up by the Purple Fig for their Summer Fiction Series! The editor gave me an awesome introduction - you can read it and the story here:



That particular piece of news should have been up almost two weeks ago and I know it's been a long time since I've checked in. So what am I up to right now?

Mostly I've been focusing on creative input rather than output. What I mean is that, over the past several months, I haven't had much time to take in many stories. Books, movies, games... what with a very active toddler and little sleep, I just didn't have the time or energy. Finally over the past month or two I've been able to scavenge an hour or two to myself every day. And oh boy have I been making up for lost time.

I think I've read at least a dozen books, watched a couple movies, even been watching my husband play the Witcher 3... it's been great. The best news is that I finally feel like I'm prepared to write again. I feel inspired. Passionate. Sometimes it just helps to fall in love with story-telling all over again. I'm filled to absolute bursting with wonderful stories that I've been reading and watching. I'm sure you'll hear more about that soon.

Anyway, due to some changes around the apartment and some serious ongoing tidying, I've been left without a work space or computer for quite some time. That ends tonight. From here I just need to work on tidying up my virtual space to keep track of my work and progress, and to create some sort of schedule I can stick to with some confidence. 

You have no idea how exciting that last one is to me. There has been no consistency in this household for almost two years now (my daughter vehemently fights schedules and apparently loathes predictability). Being able to anticipate something with any degree of certainty is pure bliss. I can start properly "working", not to mention learning (my HTML is getting very rusty and wasn't great in the first place), and... are you ready for this... I can even have DATE NIGHTS. Geeky anime-watching, book-reading, board-game-playing DATE NIGHTS. With like... candles... and Japanese food... and maybe even close physical contact. I know, the romance here is clearly mind-blowing.

Anyway, I will be back... SOON. With real content and discussion. I mean let's be honest... Mad Max: Fury Road came out... like I was really going to let that one pass by without at least a mention. The blog is also being updated (painfully slowly, I know). The title has changed, and I intend to discuss that in greater detail soon too. 

For now, thank you to my readers and to the people who have supported me as well as the Purple Fig for choosing my story. Now that I've had my first work published I have no intention of stopping there.

No comments:

Post a Comment