Sunday 13 July 2014

This is a blog.

Apparently, I now have a blog. And, apparently, you're reading it. 

Good, now that we've got that all figured out... let me answer some questions.

Why a blog?  - A couple of reasons. The first is that I've started writing again and actually submitting for publication. It seems like a good way to keep track of everything that's going on and to share any work that I don't want to publish or that just never finds a home. In fact, I fully intend to write some pieces intended solely for this blog. I write because I love it, but it seems kind of cruel to bring something into the world just to squirrel it away somewhere. Or maybe I'm just narcissistic and want an audience for my stories. Either way, there will be creative content posted here and updates on published content (hopefully).

Second reason, I've had a couple of requests to create a blog. My personal Facebook page often functions as my philosophical platform and apparently there are people that actually read what I write. So expect to see musings on topics such as world issues, books, film, video games, nature... as my mother-in-law would say... everything except sports! Nothing against sports fans, it's just not my cup of tea. (I also like tea, there may be posts about tea).

Next question - why now? I suppose the simple answer is that I had a baby. The longer answer is that I had a sleepless baby. An energetic baby. A "keep you busy for all but 10 minutes of the day" baby. When you have absolutely no time, you start to realize how much time you used to waste. So, I started to use every second of my time as productively as possible. Middle of the night feedings (which occured up to 10 times a night for me) became my opportunity to start writing again. Even if it was on my phone using G-mail and then sending it to myself to edit in a word processor whenever I had a chance. Now she's finally sleeping a little, I have even more time to devote to writing. Something I always wanted to do and could never find the time for. Clearly I wasn't looking hard enough.

Last question - why Idlewild? I recently read Anne of Green Gables and I absolutely fell in love with Anne Shirley. The girl who values imagination above all else. Imagination is one of the most important aspects of human beings. It allows us to be empathetic. It allows us to persevere in the most challenging circumstances. It allows us to better our world while creating countless others. Idlewild was one of the names Anne imagined for a meeting place in the woods where she would play with her bosom friend Diana. 

So check out my blog from time to time if you'd like. I'll try to keep it up to date and post new creative content as often as possible.

Welcome to Idlewild.

2 comments:

  1. “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”


    ― Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this quote. Einstein had immense regard for the human imagination. His quotes are pretty much all amazing. :)

      Delete